Cidery Profile: Warwick Valley Winery
This post is part of a series where we highlight why we love the cideries and orchards that host The Hard Cider Run. Read on to learn some cool features and facts!
We are so excited to be returning to Warwick Valley Winery for The Hard Cider Run in Warwick, NY on May 6th and 7th!
Warwick Valley Winery offers a variety of hard cider known as Doc’s Draft Ciders. Carlo De Vito, author of Wineries of the East Coast, had this to say about Warwick Valley Winery:
“One of the best cider makers in America today. Absolutely fabulous. From Doc’s Draft Hard Apple Cider (great, semi-dry and effervescent refreshment) to the incredibly dry, delicate, and fragrant Doc’s Draft Hard Pear Cider, to the tremendous Doc’s Framboise, which is a dessert beverage that is on par with any dessert wine out there. The raspberry can be sipped on a long hot day…what a delicious enjoyment. The pear and raspberry are to die for and are absolutely unique! These two ciders rate with the great Belgian ale house, Lindemann’s, whose fruit ales are among the best in the world.”
Here’s a little more information on their ciders:
- Doc’s Draft Hard Apple Cider. Gold Medal in the Hudson Valley Wine Competition. (Available Year Round)
- Doc’s Draft Hard Pear Cider. Double Gold Medal in the Finger Lakes International Wine Competition. (Available Year Round)
- Doc’s Draft Hard Sour Cherry Cider. Unique, hand-crafted cherry hard cider. (Available May 15 – July 15)
- Doc’s Draft Hard Raspberry Cider. Fresh raspberries are added to Doc’s Draft Hard Apple Cider and re-fermented to create a delicious spin on their traditional cider. (Available Year Round)
- Doc’s Draft Pumpkin Hard Cider. Seasonal; Made with roasted pumpkins, cinnamon, allspice, fresh ginger and nutmeg. (Available August 15 – October 15)
- Doc’s Draft Hard Cassis Cider. Made with fresh black currants. (Available March 1 – April 30)
- Doc’s Draft Dry Hopped Hard Cider. Made with Centennial and Chinook hops for a citrus and floral hop character. (Available Year Round)
- Doc’s Draft Peach Hard Cider. A balanced combo of a juicy and sweet peach. (Available July 15 – August 15.)
Things to check out (besides the cider):
- The Tasting Room. Explore their wines, ciders, brandies and liqueurs. Their current post and beam Tasting Room was renovated from an old apple packing house. It overlooks a goose pond and the orchards. Enjoy some wine, food, and music inside, or if the weather is nice, enjoy it all on their patios.
- The Pane Cafe and Black Dirt Grill. The onsite cafe, nestled adjacent to the tasting room, specializes in from-scratch pizzas, artisan sandwiches, and, in the warmer months, items such as Maine lobster and slow-cooked brisket. They try to source as many ingredients from local farms to help ensure quality is always there. Take it from us: the pizzas are out-of-this-world good!
Hope to see you in May!